Sitting in the doctors waiting room...what do YOU do?
 
If there’s no paper or magazines to read and in these days of the Covid virus usually there isn’t mostly everyone, that has one, is usually looking at their phones. Everyone has a phone these days...although I know one person that doesn’t! Only one. How could you possibly manage without one I have no idea!
 
So I check my phone...low battery...mmmm not good. Mental note to put on charge as soon as I’m home. So on to the next...I usually just pick a word...any word from the around the desk, to the wall and just see how many word combinations I can make.  A sure way to pass some time.
 
It’s always so quiet..the TV flickering in the distance. The sound usually off or very soft and just able to read the sub titles that quickly change below the picture.
 
Everyone glances up as a new patient arrives through the door as they look, often nervously around, to see if there is anyone they may know.
 
We sit there wondering, well I do anyway, what each of us are there for. Some look nervous...anxious...could it be something serious..will it end in tears...or maybe nothing at all just
someone to chat to.
 
So as we sit in comparative silence with just a foot shuffle here and there and feeling the chill of the ever present air conditioning sending a blast of cold air around the room we wait.
 
Another patient walks in without wearing a mask and quickly the receptionist, seated behind a large plastic screen, offers one and points energetically to the bottle of hand sanitizer by the door.
 
This time for me was just a blood test an annual PSA a prostate test...better to be safe than sorry I always say.  Now my turn as the cheery nurse peeks around the corner...”number 10,”she calls. We pick a number on arrival...a bit like the old game show Pick a Box...although this time it’s unfortunately not a prize...for me anyway...just a needle.
 
The friendly chatty nurse has me sit down and while the paperwork is being sorted and checked I wait. Hand wash...gloves on and “Clench fist please”, she says with a smile...”just a small prick” she mutters  ( ! ) and the needles in. She searches moves the needle from one side to the other and nothing...no blood..nothing. “Mmmm”, she mutters.
 
“Do you want to try the other arm I offer”,  trying to be of help. After a while of prodding and poking she agrees” Yes I will do that”.
 
Now the left arm...”Once again clenched fist please”, ...relax...and in it goes again...still feel a bit of movement as the needle searches for a vein. I don’t look.... of course!
 
“Are you alright?’' she asks maybe thinking I’m about to faint. “Fine thanks”, I reply..still not looking.
 
After a few moments of silence “How did you go I ask”? “This time was good”..she replies with a sigh... I silently agree.
 
I feel relief as I look down and see the syringe filled with blood..I thank her very much and we exchange wishes for each to have a good day.
 
I leave with a large piece of cotton wool taped to each arm,  looking more worse for wear than I really am, with instructions to leave on for a while and not lift anything heavy. I remove the taped cotton wool as soon as I’m out the door!
 
My doctors visit over..now I need a coffee...a big one!
 
Until the next time.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...