Algebra! I used to dread algebra at school...really dread. Maths in general to be honest but it was algebra in particular. I could never make any sense what use it would be in future life. Really what use is it? I’ve never used it many, many years later...AT ALL! See I was right!

 I think it was the teacher more than anything. It was at an all boys school  “as rough as guts” as they say. It was so bad, I tell you no joke, that it had Dartmoor in large black letters painted on the red tiled roof. Dartmoor was an infamous prison back in the UK where I was originally from. It was an end of school prank some years before by some high school leavers. An attempt had been made to remove the said letters but that made it worse and the black paint spread making it even more easy to see.
 
Anyway back to algebra. While there were some amazing teachers I remember one Mr Bowles his name was an English teacher; my favourite subject. He was a student teacher I remember and he gave me a book of English poetry when I left his year of teaching that I still have that to this day.
 
Again anyway back to algebra. I would have been aged around 12/13.  I was so upset about this teacher I never even told my parents the reason why or anything about it. I would often go missing from school on maths day.  He had his favourites from my class...enough said! I guess there must have been many from many other classes in the school. The other boys thought it a joke and didn’t mind when he called them up to his desk to sit behind it on his knee; while he “supposedly” checked their work while his hand wandered.
 
He never called me, when I was there, ..thankfully...maybe I looked too nervous and horrified but it still upset me. He would also take his favourite group of boys to the local swimming pool every Friday afternoon after school. I know because I lived nearby and would see them all walking down the hill past our flat. 
 
I have often wondered, even now hearing about teachers and others in charge many years later and things that had occurred, if that teacher ever had any trouble years later. I wouldn’t be surprised! I did think of writing to my old school years ago but decided against it. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that. I wont name the school or the teacher but his name and face are indelibly scrawled on my mind.
 
I didn’t like gym either come to that for a similar reason and was always making excuses not to take part in a class...an attack of athletes foot was a usual one but that can only last so long. Or some other vague malady. Didn’t like getting undressed with others...although I have been told nothing to be ashamed of..the mind boggles I know!
Maybe it was because in the large communal shower after gym or sports the teacher would sometimes get in there also with the boys.
 
The funny thing is when we were selling up our home to move overseas the gym teacher was someone who called in to buy some of our furniture. He was married to a lady my mother knew at work.
Married...but I found out much later that they often are!
 
Its a wonder I survived school now thinking back...but I did and was pleased to leave at the first opportunity.

In my days anything to do with university was never even on the horizon. That was for children of an entirely different...for a better word...class! It was the UK after all and the class system still rules.  I would love to have studied now looking back but it wasn’t to be. I enjoyed English even though maybe some of my grammar is misplaced now at times I know!
Haven’t done so bad though...no regrets....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...