Instagram’s always interesting and as I say to businesses that aren’t on it...WHY NOT!

Before Instagram....and any form of social media for that matter...before the internet (whoops..age!) I had shops and would have loved to have something like this to advertise on...AND IT’S FREE!

 I remember the rep from the local newspaper would come around with some special page they were doing to get some advertising revenue in and a small block would be anything from $50/$100. That’s a very small block that someone just turns the page and doesn’t even notice. In a small business just starting out that’s a huge amount of money. Now with Instagram and other social media sites you can do it all yourself. Take a picture of anything in the shop and post it immediately and it’s gone not only locally but world wide. You don’t even need a shop these days. Many operate a small business from home! I think its amazing and can’t understand why more businesses don’t do it.
 
Gone are the days when you opened a shop and sat behind the counter waiting for customers to rush in. It just doesn’t happen! You have to go out to them...they wont necessarily come to you because you have this fabulous shop. Oh gradually word gets around and word of mouth is great but it takes time...it all takes time and you have overheads to pay.
 
I mentioned it to a local restaurant we were in and sitting there it was quiet. I said to the owner are you on social media? A blank look. This should be the first thing you think of. I didn’t say that of course...but it should be! Most people these days are on Facebook. What could be easier...?
 
I was speaking recently to a lady in this fabulous new furniture shop. It’s new and only been open a few weeks. The position they are in is not the best and is a bit out of the way in this up market shopping centre. I said "Why don't you go on Instagram?". She looked at me vaguely “oh yes I think one of the girls does it... I will mention it to her.”
 
Time passes and still nothing. I mean what else is free in this life...not much. I would be posting every day to get my name out there maybe even twice a day with different pictures of products whether it be a chair, beautiful table setting, or whatever you want the public to see.
 
I was in business far too early. Instagram and social media where were you then...where was the internet when I needed you?
 
Businesses everything is there waiting for you....take advantage of it....and if it’s quiet don’t complain. Maybe you have yourself to blame!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...