A note to Teachers..Past...Present and Future...

 I’ve spoken about unhappy school memories previously  (my comments here dated May 31)  but there were many happy ones also. Some cruel teachers that would get some kind of a thrill to embarrass children in front of the class; I’m sure to traumatise them for a lifetime. Others were pure joy, kind and caring. We need more of that in our life...the kind and caring part that is.

 
Teachers...although children can often be a handful...and some times a pain...you will indeed be remembered for a lifetime for your patience and deliverance.
 
My first real experience of music I can remember was in junior school aged around 8 years of age. At morning assemblies as we all sat on the floor, teachers seated around the back of the room, there was one lady, I think she must have been a student teacher thinking back as she was so much younger than the others. Sometimes for a treat she would  be called up on the stage, rather reluctantly I add, to sing and there’s one song, one special song,  that still remains in my memory to this day...”Blow The Wind Southerly”.

It's a very old, rather sad, folk song with origins in the north of England from back in the early 1800’s. It tells of a woman desperately hoping for a southerly wind to blow her lover back home over the sea safely to her side. Maybe he was a fisherman out on the often dangerous north sea. It was just pure magic to hear her sing in this fabulous operatic voice.

As I have said it was my first real experience of music...real music I would call it. It is such a magical song even now, so many, many years later,  I can picture it all in my mind and her beautiful voice and the children loved it, I loved to hear it,  and everyone always applauded enthusiastically.

I just sat there always completely entranced...mesmerised. 
 
Through all the traumas we go through in life and long after you as a teacher may have left school, may have left this earth this physical body, the memories good or bad, hopefully good, will always live on in the memories of the children you have taught.




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...