Memories...

 The song "Memory"  from the musical Cats.. will always be a new memory for me. 

As with all songs when we hear them we are instantly transported to a time and place or year where we heard them and what part they played in our life. This time the song Memory will hold a new significance.

Yesterday we attended a funeral or as it was stated “A Thanksgiving Celebration For The life”. Always a sad affair I know. This time it was a relative of my partners and he was an older person so it was expected but I guess although expected no one is ever really ready for the inevitable to happen.

The service was in an Anglican Church and I have never attended a funeral service in a church before. The ones I have attended are usually at the crematorium. Always a good service but this one was different for me and very sincere of course.
 
I have to admit I am not a church goer and out of the three hymns I only knew one. That’s a terrible thing to say but there you are...honesty!
 
The Reverend, the prayers and the hymns and the placing of the Christian Symbols was, of course, with great respect. The Eulogy was detailed and sincere read by the deceased’s daughter.
This was followed by a selection of photos shone up above us accompanied by the song I previously mentioned “Memory”.
 
Wow powerful!
 
Even though I have no connection really to the family except through my partner and really did not know the deceased, I only met him briefly once, I had to look away at times it was just so moving and that song so haunting...so memorable indeed. A wonderful choice! Just to think of it brings tears to my eyes...
 
I thought of my own Parents who are both now deceased.
 
A reading by his wife followed...then the Committal..The Blessing and Dismissal as the Reverend followed the casket out to the car and walked alongside then bowed as it left the small church grounds.
 
It was a very powerful moment!
 
I have always said to myself when the inevitable happens I do not want anything...anything! No service...no remembrances..nothing. I hope that doesn’t make me a bad person and maybe my views will change but that’s the way I feel now at this moment in time and have always felt come to that.
 
So that’s it an interesting day I originally did not want to even attend...but I did. And pleased I did at that!

R.I.P. Peter Edward Lacaze



Lyrics

Midnight, not a sound from the pavement
Has the moon lost her memory?
She is smiling alone
In the lamplight, the withered leaves collect at my feet
And the wind begins to moan

Memory, all alone in the moonlight
I can dream of the old days
Life was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again

Every street lamp seems to beat
A fatalistic warning
Someone mutters and the street lamp sputters
And soon it will be morning

Daylight, I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes, tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin

Burnt out ends of smoky days
The stale, cold smell of morning
A street lamp dies, another night is over
Another day is dawning

Touch me, it's so easy to leave me
All alone with the memory
Of my days in the sun
If you touch me, you'll understand what happiness is
Look, a new day has begun

Songwriters: Andrew Lloyd Webber, T. S. Eliot, Trevor Nunn



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...