How many pets of different descriptions have you had over a lifetime? Me...I've had too numerous to mention really...but I will...a few! 

I grew up in London...well on the outskirts of London at a place called Chingford in greater London close to the borders of Essex. As I grew up in a council flat (or as known here state housing) as I have mentioned on here before in an earlier blog titled -  Houses we grew up in 1st blog here-   pets were “supposed” to be limited. As a child, like many I guess, I always wanted a dog. No dogs were allowed it stated on the back of the green rent book I remember so well. I read it and re read it but no it didn’t change; dogs were definitely not allowed! 

I remember a cat first of all I named her Rita...after a girl at school. I must have been around 8 at the time. It wasn’t really a friendly or a cuddly kind of cat I remember she would scratch frequently. One day when I came home my Mother said Rita..the cat not the girl from school...had been sent to the country...to a farm.
 
This puzzled me as we were nowhere near the country and didn’t know anyone on a farm?
 
It wasn’t until many years later I realised would happened. I never asked...couldn't bare it...but I think my Rita went to the vets. I hope she went to a good home...at least I hope it was to a home!
 
Life can often seem strange and often mysterious when you’re so young.
 
As I progressed in age I had a guinea pig ..several as I remember. You name it...I most likely had it! Hamsters and mice, many mice much to my Mothers horror but none the less they were there...in my bedroom and on the balcony. I once had a mouse village behind glass in my bedroom that Dad converted from an old table. Anyway I used to breed the said mice and sell them to a local pet shop. I would sell them or maybe change one for a different colour to give some variety. Quite the businessman even then.
 
Fish...always kept fish cold water and tropical. I remember Dad converted an old TV case and fitted the gold fish aquarium inside to give the impression the fish were on TV. Very effective and futuristic for the time I can assure you. That led on to tropical fish which we kept for a number of years. Always attractive in the selection of colours and different breeds.
 
Snakes..many snakes and lizards. Really anything that breathed and moved and was small enough not to get in trouble with the council...but alas still no dog!
 
Oh and pigeons.. white Demetrious as I have mentioned before also in the - Houses we grew up in 1st blog on here. I think there were four all told on the balcony. I remember I brought home a hedgehog once and it killed two baby pigeons. I was horrified. I had no idea that could happen.
 
There were tadpoles which led to full size frogs from frogs spawn I would collect from local ponds. Newts...many newts...they are like a small lizard is the easiest way to describe them but they live in water and can walk on land something similar to a small salamander.
 
I think I caused my Parents much grief withy all my animals but it was interesting and, as with the mice, rewarding as I sold to the pet shop.
 
Interesting thinking back on early days isn’t it...animals..pets...I remember I even wrote to South Africa when I was around 14 or so to see if I could go and work on a game reserve. I remember everyone was horrified including my grandparents!!
 
Nothing came of it though. I did receive a reply saying they were pleased to hear from me and when I am older to think about it and write again. At least they were kind and thoughtful enough to reply. I  remember I was very appreciative at the time 
 
Animals....the many animals I remember throughout my childhood but still no dog. I achieved that dream but not until I was much older and in a home on the other side of the world in New Zealand.
 
I will save that for another time...another story...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...