Music and Memories...

Amongst all the sad news lately and I know it can truly get us down, it certainly does me that's for sure, I was transported back to my youth and happier times while standing in line at the checkout at the supermarket this morning. They do play some old but good music don't they.

Yes it was music and memories. What would we indeed do without music and memories?

As I was standing there singing along I was back in my bedroom playing my old reel to reel tape recorder with the recording mic just in the socket far enough so that I could sing along with amplification. That was long before the days of karioke machines...Oh how I would have loved to have got my hands on one of those! I couldn't afford to buy records so I would borrow and record them. Highly illegal..but you gotta do...what you've gotta do!

It was a lifetime ago and so so much has happened since. Many different addresses and different countries a world away.

I would sing along hour after hour, night after night, on my own repeating and repeating the song and just loving the singers like many through the generations have done and still do.

I would by "The Stage" and "Melody Maker" papers and dream that one day it could be me up there...out there...somewhere?  Maybe it could have been me living the life in some faraway mansion. 

We can dream and imagine. Did you know that's how The Spice Girls got together by answering an ad in "The Stage". Not that I'm a Spice Girl..of course😏

Yes I was once brave enough to apply to sing in a band...well practice anyway. It was fun but always lacking confidence to really "let go" on my own I was more confident singing with someone else. There was another time I joined up with this guy..I wonder if he ever made it..and we sung together as a duo. Nothing came of it though but it was an experience.

More happy never to leave the confines of my home..my bedroom..just loved the music. From Friday evenings to Monday morning I would be a home body. Not the one for going out and not the one for friends I was a happy loner with my music and tolerant neighbours and very tolerant parents.

So here I am standing at the checkout while groceries are passed monotonously through the beeping machine by the lady with the multi coloured hair and singing along never thinking I could be heard of course. It was when the checkout operator next door looked up I wondered...God can she hear me? and quickly I was not back in my bedroom but at the supermarket standing in a line of customers. Woops!

I wondered what would happen if I suddenly burst into song 🎜🎝🎜and sang along out loud like some scene from one of those lavish musicals of years gone by.

Commotion in checkout aisle...SECURITY!! 

Most likely but the thought did cross my mind and I laughed silently to myself.

Ah memories how they last...even eight days a week...not giving away any time frame of course but there's a clue in there somewhere. 

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun...πŸ˜„



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...