One Day...Some Day..

Something I regret after the passing now of both of my Parents is I wished I had listened more.

I mean we listen but not really, if you understand what I mean, hard to explain. 

History...details we hear so often we, or at least I, tended to sort of switch off as it were. My Fathers exploits during the war discussed with associates that I just tuned out on after a while and what exactly his medals mean that are now in my safe keeping.

Growing up where and how. I know places and names but sometimes it's so vague that I wished I had listened more..paid more attention...taken more mental or physical notes.

If I could say one thing to you, anyone that's reading my ramblings...my thoughts, is to at least have your parents' voices recorded somewhere. Anywhere.

Mobile phones weren't out back then when my Parents passed but tape recorders were, and I regret not being able to listen to their voices. It's such an easy thing now to record on the phone and I ask anyone to at least have a little library of their own parents' voices. Their entire families if you wish. Voices to keep...as a keepsake forever.

I have photos and 8mm movie film I know I will never watch again as I would find it too painful. I have the memories of course..so many memories the holidays...the picnics and outings..all locked away in my mind...but not the sound of their voices...not that sound I knew so well and took so much for granted.  

Everything is taken for granted, even lives are taken for granted, until they are no longer there with us so I beg all of you to take notes...take mental notes, physical notes and store them away but most of all get things on record..tape..phone..anything.One day you will be pleased you did.

Even if that day seems far away now it will indeed come...one day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...