Eurovision...

 



It's Loud...It's Brash...It's always over the top. It's Eurovision !

Watched by over 200 million people in Europe and around the world, including us in Australia.

I watched from 5am our time and to wake up to flashing lights, loud music, and enough stage effects to feed a small nation and very strange costumes through tired eyes is, to say the least, a jolt to the system and quickly a wake up. 😃

For me it's something I have done all my life. Always watched Eurovision growing up in the UK it's more like a religion there to watch and famously it also gave birth to one of the biggest names in the music world, ABBA, with the song Waterloo in 1974.


The time difference now makes it more of an effort but I still join in the craziness of it all. 

Of course now I support Australia but the UK did well this year and came second place to Ukraine which was a very worthy winner and scored the popular vote if not the judges vote for music which made up 50% of the overall vote. 192 votes from the jury and an incredible 439 points from the public vote to put them in an unbeatable lead of 631 points.


We are in the Eurovision song contest in Australia and far from being in Europe we now have had a regular spot for around the last five or so years. Don't ask me how we ever got there. Always amazes me as we are as far from Europe as you can possibly be but its good to see and we can be as "over the top" as anyone else!

This year amongst some strange and very "different" songs and singers we held our own well but only managed to make it to the 15th spot. There was great competition and Sheldon Riley from the Gold Coast here in Queensland did a great performance. The only criticism I can make is although the lyrics were highly personal to him and his life growing up and being different and fitting in in a toxic environment as an autistic child I found I couldn't hear all the lyrics..the actual words explaining that. Which I thought was a shame. He looked "very Eurovision" and over the top which you have to be of course to be there. It is a prerequisite and that really goes without saying.


So the winner of Eurovision always hosts next years show. President Zelenskyy of Ukraine said it will be held in their country next year. We will have to see. I definitely hope so as it will be a boost to their economy but guess it all depends on President Putin and just how far this war of his goes and if he stands the test of time or is deposed in the meantime...which many hope he is.

Anyone that couldn't see it I'm sure there will be a YouTube somewhere, sometime. See what you think. It's like nothing else you have ever seen you can be sure of that I guarantee it !

Worth a look ....




Instagram: mike_at_mainbeach

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...