NEOM...THE LINE...A City of the Future..

 Well it's  another beautiful 27c summers day here in Queensland, Australia and as I sit here in the shade, birds twittering in the surrounding trees, waves gently lapping in the distance, we learn that the Greenland ice sheet is melting at a dramatic rate...and well you know the rest!

Oh Dear....

I don't know what I alone can do? I try my best and save energy when and where I can. Can't have solar panels because I live in an apartment building not a house. Drive only when I have to. Now with shortage of gas and prices rising so much around the world, only use what I have to and use the microwave more I guess; as long as fossil fuels aren't generating electricity..as most likely they are!

It can be a depressing I know if we really sit and think about it. Past generations have worried about children growing up and we all do I guess thinking just what the future world will be like.

Will they, the future generations, live as we do or will the climate be so different that everything will be enclosed, hermetically sealed as it were, just like the new city now being built in Saudi Arabia for example.

Have you seen it? I have enclosed a link   NEOM's THE LINE.. 170 km long completely enclosed with it's own infrastructure...everything.. eventually to accommodate 9 million people. Is that how cities of the future will look?

  (5993) Saudi Arabia’s Neom city design shows what life would be like living in ‘The Line’ - YouTube

There are a few different YouTubes on this and worth a look. Some say it will never happen, but the building has already begun. Huge expense..guess time will tell. They have the money and that's what counts. 

Amazing and frightening at the same time. The rich living in comfort and controlled luxury and the rest outside of the "bubble" doing the best they can as many thousands of refugees from flooded islands and low laying lands search for a new home. As is certain to happen we are told the way we are going.

The climate is constantly changing we know, and of course it is, but the climate is changing much faster now than it ever did in the past and storms becoming much more powerful than ever before and more frequent. We well know this here in Australia. The one in one hundred year flood has actually happened three times in New South Wales in the last six months!! Devastating forest fires the year before.

Are we now reaping the "rewards" if you can call it that of past economic growth as those with far more knowledge than I try to sort it all out.

Maybe we will be "branching out" and be the new Adam and Eve seeding future homes in the vastness of the universe one distant day.

Would love to time travel and see but in the meantime I'll just sit here and listen to the waves gently lapping the shore on this summers day. 

Head in the sand much? I try to be as aware as possible and maybe, just maybe, if we all try just that little bit it will help.

Fingers crossed !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trouble at both ends of the scale......

Just day dreaming....

On a lighter note...